Tuesday, October 09, 2007


You know in Africa I’ve experienced nature in a whole new way. There are just cool new trees, bushes, animals, smells, and phenomena that I’d never seen before.
A few weeks ago I was at a carepoint in Mangwaneni Mbabane. The fog was so think way up there that you couldn’t see anything beyond the carepoint. Not the hills, not the homesteads, not the highway, nothing. In a short while it warmed a bit and the breeze picked up. And I stood there watching the wind blow the fog off the mountain. It was so cool!
A few days later I was driving home from a cloudy Manzini towards Mbabane. A cloud of fog had simply come and rested on top of the mountain. It was like a painting it was so beautiful.
But the most amazing thing was just yesterday. As we drove back from South Africa we came through a lightning storm. The bolts of lightning were pink and wildly webbed. The rain poured as we approached the border of Swaziland, and the landscape was magnificent. It looked like the stereotypical Africa picture. The grass was long and browned from lack of rain. Acacia trees were scattered along the plains, and the mountains stood in the background. Oh I wish I had a picture to show you. When we went through the border post and into Swaziland, the sun came out, creating a giant rainbow. You could see the entire arch, from one hill, over the highway, and then resting on the opposite hill.
Wow! I have never seen that before in my life, it was amazing!

1 comment:

Annie said...

That is awesome! I was driving through the hills of WVa early Saturday morning and the fog was so thick on the mountains and in the road and then you'd look off the bridge onto the water and the mist was just rising above it like it was giving way and joining with the fog...as we rounded the corner and came down a hill the sun broke and under the cloud of fog the light poured through and the blue sky smoothed away the white blanket...it was lovely!!