Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thinking outside of the par-a- dig-m.


Africa does funny things to your mind. It changes your perspective on what is “proper”, what is
acceptable. We had a game night on Wed, and the hostess served Easter shaped sweet tarts that someone sent from the states a while back. Isn’t that funny? Would you ever serve Easter candy at Halloween? Of course not. It would be “old” and therefore gross, and your guests wouldn’t want to eat it.
But we were very excited to have sweet tarts. No one cared.
I’ve seen partially used bottles of Bath and Body given as a gift, and the recipient being thrilled to have it! Ha Ha.
Last night, I invited a friend Jacci, to dinner. Since she lives in Manzini, we pre-planned that she would just stay with me last night and go home in the morning. (The Swazi don’t even drive in Manzini at night, so there is no way a white woman will.) Since I don’t have a guest room here, but I do have a proper double bed, she had to sleep with me. The funny thing is, neither of us even thought it was strange. It was just practical. It was kinda fun, talking until 1 am after the other guests had left and then just falling asleep. This morning I thought to myself, “I’m 30 years old, and I just had a slumber party.”
What a riot! You just wouldn’t do those kind of things in the states, but here, it’s second nature. No one thinks twice about it.
I love it. I love the freedom of doing what’s enjoyable, fun, realistic, and rational, instead of what is “proper”.
So I give you permission to abandon all sense of “how you should do thing.”
If it tastes good, eat it, no matter what shape it is. Give a gift you know someone will love, even if you used a bit. Sleep with whoever you want…err. No wait, that didn’t sound right. But you know what I mean.
Live Life! Love Life! (I saw that on a t-shirt here. I’m adopting it as my new motto)

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love it! :0)