Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Written Sunday

Did you ever watch that show Sliders? You know the one where you discovered an older, slimmer, much cuter Jerry O’Conner? Or O’Connell, or whatever his name is. You know the chubby kid, Vern, from Stand By Me? Anyway in each episode they were in a parallel universe. And that’s how I feel lately. I feel like I’m existing in a world that’s operating day to day, and once in a while I can look through the window back into the life that I experienced for so many year.
On my homepage, yahoo, they listed the top scary movies.
So? I thought, why would they do that?
Duh, Halloween is in 3 days. This entire month has slipped by and I didn’t even realize it. Without a Wal-Mart full of costumes, and grocery stores with isle after isle of candy, I didn’t even realize it was Halloween. I started thinking about my former students, the fun activities we did in the fall, and how I would decorate the classroom and my home.
But not this year.
Somewhere on the other side of the world, my mom has a giant pot of mums blooming, children are carving pumpkins, friends are having movie night with scary film, and my dad has bought 6 bags of candy using the excuse of trick-or-treaters, although we never have one at the house.
And one more I discovered just this instant. My microwave clock says 7pm. My parallel universe computer clock says 6pm.
Y’all had daylight savings time today, didn’t you?
Nope. Not here.
It’s such a strange feeling. Life is going on without me, while living a life here.

2 comments:

Annie said...

No daylight savings yet...to save 1% energy they have delayed it a few weeks :0)

Jean Ohlerking said...

You don't need Halloween there. The witchdoctors are real. Everyday.