Thursday, October 04, 2007

Forgiveness!

I have a good friend, but a few years back our friendship hit a rough patch. It was caused by several things and I always felt this kind of dark cloud hovering between us. We went through all of the friendship motions but we both knew there was a strain.
Then one night she sat me down. “I need to apologize for something. I’ve been holding anger against you for A,B,C, and The Lord has been dealing with me about this…”
And as she talked I saw where this was going. I remember getting so excited, not because she was making some kind of “I’m wrong/you’re right” confession, but because I saw we could heal our friendship! And when she finally finished with “…will you forgive me?” It was all I could do not to shout out “Of course I forgive you! I’m just happy to have my friend back!!!” That started a season where we each asked for forgiveness for things we’d done wrong towards the other, and now we have a great friendship again.
(I know you are reading this, I love you girl)
Well lookie what I found in the Bible today:
“O Lord you are so good, so ready to forgive,
so full of unfailing love for all of those who ask for your aid” Psalm 86:5
I can just picture God as I come to him to ask forgiveness. He’s not gloating, he’s not smug. He doesn’t have the “I-told-you-so” look on his face. He’s excited, and can’t even wait for the words to come out of my mouth. He can’t wait for me to finish speaking, because he knows where this is going. We get to be friends again! And He doesn’t mind shouting, “Of course I forgive you! I’m just happy to have my friend back!!!!”

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a beautiful analogy! I'm so tired today it was so much easier to "feed" on your revelation... all the while being convicted to get back to to my own study.

Jennifer said...

hey girl. this was a hard time for me/us. but god is so good. he brought healing right when we needed it. i love you :)