Thursday, October 18, 2007

Love

God’s re-accuring theme since I’ve arrived in Africa has been love. I’ve been on this journey of learning all over again. How do I love others? Many days I feel, not very well.
Our focus of the recent retreat was Loving Well. (It’s a Beth Moore study that I highly recommend)
It made me question many things. Do I love from an outflow of the love I receive from God, or do I love out of my own strength? Do I look for opportunities to love, or do I love because of a sense of duty? Is it a chore to love, or is it a joy to love?
This is not a one day fix-up, but a continuous journey of seeking a better understanding of Christ’s love. While I might never in this life understand the fullness of His love for me, there’s one thing I’m realizing about it:
It’s not a just- enough love.
It’s not a filled- to- the- brim love.
It’s an overflowing love.
There is a beautiful song on a CD that a friend gave me.
Your love is deep, Your love is high
Your love is long, Your love is wide
It’s deeper than my view of grace,
Higher than this worldly place
Longer than this road I travel,
Wider than this gap you fill...
Pauls writes, “And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep the love of Christ is”. Ephesians 3:18
I don’t know if I’ll ever fully understand his love for me. But his love is an abundant love.
It’s not limited to my understanding of it.
It’s not just enough to get me through the day.
It’s not equal to what I need to go through the tough times.
It is more than I could ever imagine.

No comments: