Friday, October 19, 2007

Camp

I’m going to youth camp today. You know, I wasn’t a Christian when I was a teenager, so I never went to youth camp. And I’ve certainly, never been to African youth camp, - so I think I’m in for a surprise. In my mind I’ve been thinking of bunks and cabins, but I know for a fact it’s nothing like that. I’ve heard “horror” stories from some of our other Americans who’ve attended in the past.
“It’s hot! You can’t shower. You have to sleep on the ground…” They usually just go home to sleep, bathe and return the next day.
At first I thought this sounded like a great idea, but as it’s approached, I’ve been feeling in my heart that I need to go and stay. How can I expect my teachers to do something I’m not willing to do? I’ve been to their houses, - they sleep in beds too. I’ve given them a good sniff, - they bathe everyday too.
In addition, many have husbands, and kids and extended families at home that they are leaving behind for a whole weekend, to love on these teens, serve them, teach them, etc.
In my “lead by example” approach, I feel it’s important for me to be there too. I’ve been fighting it, but this week I finally submitted to what the Lord is asking me to do. It won’t kill me to get skuzzy for a day or too. I will not melt in the heat, nor will I literally be eaten alive by mosquitoes. I’m just viewing it as camping. After all, I’ve already been asked to bring my own sponge (foam mattress) sleeping bag and dish to eat from. I’ve packed my sunscreen, bug repellant, and wet wipes to bathe with.
And do you know what? The past few days I’ve been getting a bit excited to go! I’ve never been to youth camp or even tried real “roughing it” camping before. Yea! I get to get dirty, and nasty, and eat food cooked on a fire. Not only that, I get to spend a night with the teenage girls from Moneni, who I have grown to love so much!
It’s funny how when you have a submissive attitude, God will bless you and change your heart. So, please pray for me this weekend at my first ever youth camp. I guess it’s never too late to start. But more importantly, pray for the 130 teenagers who will be there. Pray that they have “eyes to see and ears to hear”, that something will strike a chord in them. Pray they will have an “a-ha” moment or an “I get it now.” Pray that their hearts are changed and that their lives will be changed as a result.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so excited for you to stay and what an amazing weekend you will have. Praying and can't wait to hear all about it :0)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun, let us know how skuzzy you got!

Natalie