Tuesday, July 03, 2007

sigh


I learned a bit about the Hawaiian people and their faith this week. It was a little disconcerting to hear about some of the ideas of the original Christian Missionaries in the 1800's. They introduced the hand shake because the Hawiaan greeting was too provocative (they would touch noses and inhale each other's breath) they forbid the Hula (which was origionally done only by men) and they banned surfing because it was Godless.
Sigh. You know you hear a lot of stories like this about missionaries. And yes I know there are million of good stories out there, but it seems that often cultures are altered with things that are not even important. I mean surfing? Common!
That is one thing I hope never to do as I step into a missionary position,- change insignificant pieces of culture. I'd much rather be remembered like the priests who lived among the lepers of Moloka'i or the Father who painted bible stories onto the chapel wall to help the Hawaiians understand the Gospel. That that is truely makeing a difference in someone's lives.

No comments: