Friday, July 20, 2007

The power of Prayer

Pray about all things.
I’m good about praying about big things,- crisis, sickness, money issues. I’ve got that covered.
But since I’ve been here, I’m feeling I should pray about even the tiny things, the silly things, the This- can’t- possibly- make- a- difference- to- God things.
And I’m hearing his voice in a very different way.
For example, last Friday I woke up with perfect hair. I mean it looked great.
“You don’t have to wash it today” I heard.
But I guess it wasn’t registering that I was “hearing” it.
“hmm…I’ll wash it anyway and redo it. I don’t want it to get greasy later.”
So I go in the shower and about 2 minutes into it, the hot water cut out and the pressure dropped.( I found out some days are “shower days” and everyone in the town is using water. So those are the days you shower early or not at all) I had to rinse my hair in freezing cold water. Brr! After I got out of the shower I found out Susan was leaving in a matter of minutes and left the house with random clothes, and a pony-tail.
I should have listened to the small voice.
Then today I dilly-dallied around and got to the shower around 7. No pressure, not hot water.
Sigh. I put my hair up and started preparing to wash up in the sink.
“Ask me.”
Huh. Okay. What would it hurt? “Jesus, can I wash in the shower today?” I tried again and it was on! I jumped in quickly and soaped up and rinsed. “Can I shampoo my hair too?” (I wasn’t going to make that mistake twice.) and felt a definite “yes”
And the water lasted! Yea
But best of all was the Potter’s Wheel. That’s a little coffee shop near out office. Nothing like starbucks but it’s cozy and cute and they have decent coffee and little hot sandwiches for lunch. Well two days ago Queeneth told me they were closing!
But I just got here!
So I started praying. I know that sounds dumb, but I was sad about it.
Today I went to get a cup of coffee and asked the girl, “I heard you were closing?”
“Yes, we closed yesterday and opened today”
“No, you are closing down.”
“No. We opened under new management today.”
“So I can still come here any day and get coffee whenever I want?”
“Yes madam.”
Prayer works. Even with small things
Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done…” Phillipians 4:6

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

if you keep praying about the coffee shop you might end up with TWO of them ;)

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amnen!!!