Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Adventures in Africa Day 2

Okay, I knew the second night would be bad. The first night of jet lag you sleep for ever, the second night you wake up for no reason. SO as expected I woke up at 2am.
sigh.
But wait, it gets better. when I finally got out of bed at 6am I couldn't get a hot shower. The water was scalding, then drizzled out, then cold and then no more hot! So I showered, shivering, very quickly, and jumped out as fast as I could. I ran out to the living room in a towel to stand in front of a gas heater,- oh soo nice!!!!!!
But then I noticed what looked like lots of little leaves next to the sliding glass door. Leaves? How did they get there? (shiver shiver)
Then the leaves started to wiggles. No they weren't leaves, they were some kind of long white, maggot- type larva.
Ewww! I swept them up quickly and placed them outside, with a slight loss of apetite for my toast and PB.
Soon after I found about a dozen more. I swept them as well, but tossed them not so gently to the fence.
Soon, a dozen more. I'd loss my cool. I swept them and flung them angrily over the fence. Mumbling some ugly words under my breath.
By the time I found more, I'd had it. they weren't that gross. I left them to crawl. I have better things to do in my sleepy haze then sweep worms. I'm over it.
I ate my toast.

4 comments:

Annie said...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Jean Ohlerking said...

hey christy--you're supposed to put them ON the toast with the pb...delicious! welcome to africa.
love ya...

Unknown said...

After reading your blog & seeing Jean's comments, I had to check it out & discovered that the FDA actually allows 20 maggots per can of mushrooms. At one restaurant in Germany, lines form around the block for maggot ice cream, crunchy salad & cocktails. Maggots are considered a sustainable source of protein. Slather the peanut butter, baby!! :)

Anonymous said...

Again...EWWWWW!!! Thanks Hogue!!