Monday, July 16, 2007

Faith in Action

I heard a great sermon this morning. It began with the understanding that in the Hebrew culture and language, belief and obedience are one and the same.
Jesus replied, “My mother and brothers are all those who hear the message of God, and obey it.”
-Luke 8:12
He replied, “Even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice.”
-Luke 11:28
That’s very different from the American thinking. We try to believe things with our brains, and stop there.
I remember in Brazil, Betty McKinney talked about Americans having “uh-huh” faith
Do you believe in Jesus?
Uh-huh
Do you believe he is the Son of God?
Uh-huh
Have you asked him to forgive your sins?
Uh-huh
Good! You’re saved!... and they move on to the next. But…
“Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as ‘Lord’, but they still won’t enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven.”
-Matthew 7:21

Now of course, we are not saved by our actions, but within the context of scripture we see that action is the natural result of our belief. When we truly believe, we act as though we believe!
A very simple example I thought of was my childhood belief in Santa. I believed in Santa…so I behaved as though I believed in Santa. I was very good all December long, knowing that he was watching (although Jan 1st saw a whole new Christy.) I wrote him letters, I put out cookies and milk, I slept on the couch on Christmas Eve, - my actions were a direct result of my belief. I didn’t have to tell anyone I believed in Santa, you could see it with your own two eyes.
Get it?
Of course, James put it best:
Dear brothers and sisters, what’s the use of saying you have faith if you don’t prove it by your actions? That kind of faith can’t save anyone…Faith that doesn’t show itself by good deeds is no faith at all- it is dead and useless…Do you still think it’s enough just to believe that there is one God? Well even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror...”
-James 2:14
But there are more examples too:
Then Jesus told him, “Go back home, your son will live!” And the man believed Jesus’ words and started home.
-John 4:50
“You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings. And you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”
-John 8:31
“Didn’t I tell you that you will see God’s glory if you believe?” So they rolled the stone aside…
-John 11:40
Just a tidbit but you get the point.
Go out today. Do what you believe! :0)

No comments: