Monday, July 09, 2007

my gripe

okay, I've made it here safely to Swaziland, and all of my luggage has arrived. Yeah! I've very excited abou that. and I will blog a read post with pictures and good things in a few days when I'm more coordiated and on my own computer.
so for now I have a big gripe- this whole liquids thing on the airlines
It stared last summer while we were in Brazil- liquids and such have to be limited because of terrorist threats. Okay I get it.
So when I left the other day the man at the counter told me I could take my large duffle bag as a carry-on, thus saving me the $135 for checking an extra bag! I was all for it! But I didn't consider until it was too late that my duffle had lots of gels, liquids creams, ect. So the woman took it! Most of it didnt' matter, but she took my hair goop. I tried to explain that I couldn't get it in Africa, but she had no compassion. (that set off a crying fit, but considering I also cried about my oatmeal that morning, it obviously doesn't take much these days.) I go, fly to J-burg and have to go through security to get to my Swaziland fight. Getting searched again, the second woman took more things that were from the center of my duffle bag.
So the first lady only took some of the things but obviously didn't search my bag throughly!!!!
So my point of frustration is this: If we are going to "be safe" by confiscating all liquids, then do it right! Don't just do it half way to make it appear as though you are doing your job but leaving it unfinished.
If I have my terrorist-threat hair goop taken, then I should also have my terrorist-threat suncreen taken at the same time,- not 2 flights later. Otherwise no one is really safer, just uglier.
Okay, I'll get off my soap box. But don't worry, it's been bar soap, not liquid soap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad, the frequent flyer, had all sorts of solutions to the bag issue when I told him (he's a fixer) so next time...we'll talk :0)

Jennifer said...

can i send you some more hair products? i'd be more than happy too! love ya :)