Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fontayne


Yesterday morning I visited the Fontayne Carepoint to observe the school that we have in place there. What a great experience for me! I’d been missing the classroom a bit and this was enough to cure what was ailin’ me.
But what a culture shock! School here in Swaziland is so very different. The children sit very quietly, and only speak when prompted. When they do speak, to answer or respond to the teacher, it’s in unison. Mostly I believe this is because the students are learning English and rote answers probably reinforce words. The only time they speak independently, is to say, “Teechah, I am feeneeshed.” (So cute)
And these children were all 5-8! A few times they did start to talk a tiny bit as they were working independently, and Mary (their teacher) would say, “You are making noise!” and that was then end of it. (I think Mary would pass out to see some of the classes we have in our schools.) She said later that she thought they were very rowdy today, probably because I was there and was a new face to them. Ha!
Mary also allowed me to call the role. Ha! What a disaster! The only name I got correct was Boy-Boy. The rest were pretty bad. I’d have to sound it out (by the way, it’s the letter C that makes the click sound. Lots of names have the letter C. sigh) and then she would say it correctly so the child would recognize their own name.
What impressed me the most was the attitudes of the children. When I arrived they were a bit shy, but quick with a smile when I approached them. They were friendly, and tried to speak with me in English, (and I in my 3 SiSwati words.)
When Mary arrived they ran from the play area into the classroom and were waiting at their seats quietly before she came into the door. And at the end of the day they stacked the chairs and tables before going out to play.
As I waited for my ride back to the office, they came and sat in my lap to cuddle or talk, which Charles said, as new kids at the carepoint, many often would shy away from attention, or cringe at physical contact. Mary explained the stories behind most of the students and it was appaling. One boy is living in a family where both parents are HIV positive and his two younger siblings are positive as well. There is a pair of sisters who lost their father, and so the mother goes from man to man every few months to have a home to live it. She will often disappear leaving the girl to fend for themselves, tragically ending in sexual abuse at times. One bright little girl was abandoned by both her parents (who were step-brother and sister) leaving her to the go-go to be raised. Another girl is often left alone to care for her 3 year old sister. When she comes to school, the 3 year old has to walk herself the carepoint to eat. And it goes on and on. Each student has a heart-breaking story, but to see them at Fontayne, you would never know. For those hours they are at the carepoint, they feel safe and loved and free to be kids. :0)
This is why we do what we do.
We are ambassadors of hope

No comments: