Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Happy Birthday Hurricane




It’s not how I expected to spend my 30th birthday. Usually my birthday is hot, but this year, since it’s winter here in Swaziland, I was hoping for a snow storm.
I got a hurricane instead.
On Friday night the winds started to really pick up. It was about this time last year when Manzini experienced a “dry hurricane” and although this wasn’t quite as bad, I’d never experienced anything like it. It was unreal! So as we drove home from Kristen’s house the wind was howling like crazy, and oh, did I mention the fires?
Yeah, here in Swaziland they burn …well everything! I guess it helps the grass to grow back better or something. But as you drive around you see a field, yard, or hillside smoldering and maybe some small flames, - nothing to get excited about. But with the winds the way they were, some of the fires got out of control. Hillsides were covered with giant leaping flames, and there was smoke all over town. It was truly an awesome sight to see; - although I’m glad my house wasn’t in the valley. The full moon was so bright, you could see silouettes of trees being blown sideways, and I wondered how they didn't snap!
So what does all of this have to do with my birthday? Well when I awoke on Saturday, after listening to howling winds and falling papayas, the winds were just starting to settle down,(the picture here) but there was no power, and no running water. To top it off, ash had blown under the door and in the bathroom window. Ugh. Cleaning on my birthday? No fair.
I was sitting very disappointed because with no water and no power my planned birthday brunch would have to be canceled. Boo.
But to my surprise, when I went into the Rodger’s house, they were cooking on gas camping stoves and decorating a banner for me! The party went on as planned, with all the guests un-showered. We had pancakes and "bacon." Yeah!
After all of that excitement, I decided 30 meant I was a big girl, so I sucked it up, and drove my truck to my cottage and began moving in. And that evening, I went to an outdoor concert at Waterford school where the white ash from nearby fires gently floated down over the audience, -an uncanning resemblance to snow flurries. I guess I got my wish after all. :0)
ps- the pillow are to go with my new duvet! so cute!
PPS- thanks to all of you who send e cards!

No comments: