Thursday, July 26, 2007

The easy way is not always the best way

When I first began teaching I took over a class where a teacher retired mid-year. I was in the class no more than 2 days when I realized why she'd left mid-year. The kids were horrible! I mean real monsters!
I would drive home crying on some days and when June finally arrived and I left for summer break, I would occasionally have nightmares. I'm serious, they were that bad.
But in the years since, no matter how bad my students acted, I knew how to handle it. I'd learned how to teach in a touch circumstance, and therefor all others, seemed easy in comparison.
That is my attitude about driving a stick.
I'm learning that hard way.
My truck is big, petrol (instead of deisle)and Mbabane is on a mountain, so you just can't avoid hills. To top it off, my hand break is tight, and I can't drop it. So I can't rely on it to keep me from rolling back when I stop on a hill. I am forced to balance with my clutch when I start off in 1st.
It's an American learner's nightmare.
But in spite of it all, I'm learning, and Roger says I'm doing well. Once I get going, I'm pretty good, shifting and all. And I've just had to get over what others think about me.
Roger said this morning, "You don't have a L on your truck to show you are a learner. So if you stall, people will shout, 'What is wrong with you?!!! Are you drunk?!!!!" Ha Ha HA
But he says not to worry. He would have a bit of trouble himself because it's a tough car to drive.
So I will perservere. I will learn the tough way. I will succeed. And then all other cars will be a piece of cake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A metaphor for life sometimes!