Friday, August 31, 2007

The reed dance


Umhlango, the reed dance is coming! This is a big deal to the swazi. The younge maidens come from all over the country after cutting reeds, and they dance before the king and the queen mother. This also when the king chooses his next wife (I beleive this year will be #14.)
Now the actualy dance is on Monday, a holiday but there are lots of activities and such leading up to it.
I was at Moneni today, which is placed near the highway. We saw 49 trucks,- dumptrucks, cattle trucks, you name it, loaded with girls, packed in like sardines all heading up the mountain! Esh!
The cooks at moneni were asking if I was going.
Wouldn't that be a sight? The girls wear traditional outfits,(i.e. topless) and tiny tiny little beaded skirts.
I don't think anyone would want to see that.
They were encouraging me nontheless. They said I could just put my skirt over pants or shorts and I didnt' have to go topless if I didn't want to.
"What if I get chosen?"
Oh they thought that was funny!
oh c'mon I could be queen!

1 comment:

Annie said...

You're so silly and I love that!

:0)