Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Oh Happy Days!


Every day there is something here that makes me smile. This morning I ate the juiciest, sweetest pineapple I ever tasted. It was so ripe it smelled up my house during the night. Walking up the hill last night I smell something in bloom (spring has sprung) Not quiet honeysuckle but just as nice. Jasmine maybe?
Today I was driving from one care point to the next. I had to stop in the middle of the road because a herd of cows had decided to cross over in front of me. Now I could have pointed out to them that there was no robot (traffic light) or cross walk there, but they were very large and had very sharp horns.
I figured I’d just let them pass.
Yesterday I saw my teacher Ntombi, who had given birth to a baby boy less than 24 hours before. He was so tiny! But I thought it was comical that in Manzini’s 95 degree weather, there were 5lbs of baby and 4lbs of blanket wrapped around him.
Monday it was my marriage & family class that I am taking along with my teachers. Pastor Ron was giving an example of an American family where the roles were reversed, and the woman worked and the man stayed at home.
“He stayed at home, and washed the dishes,-“
GASP!!!!
The room shook with the gasp of 25 appalled Swazi! I just smiled and snickered to myself.

How cool are these memories? A pet monkey at the mechanic’s, a zebra strolling on our way to dinner in the game park,-these are experienced I could only have here in Africa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I love the smell of pineapple and jasmine!

:0)