Wednesday, August 29, 2007

more

We ended our day playing with the rest of the children who had arrived by then. Some bunte, (little brother) shared his sugar cane with me. You simple tear off a part and chew the fibers to taste the sweet juices inside. Then you spit it out. We also played singing and dancing games.
At all of out carepoints you can get these games started quickly by simply shouting, “If you want to play, make a big circle!” The children come running from every direction!
We had a lot of fun. If the video is available, you’ll see a different wedding game. You choose your spouse and then the children all sing about your new surname, and then you choose someone different to dance around with and they sing about that person’s surname. The game went smoothly until I got choosen. They all kinda stopped and looked at me. “What is your surname?” When I told them Merrill, it was tough. Merrill is a tough name for the Swazi. I should have told the Dlamini. But we danced any way and the teen age boy who had chosen me was very proud he had chosen a “mulungu” (white person) wife.

No comments: