Sunday, August 19, 2007

1 for the moms

I have to give credit where credit is due. Being a mom has to be the hardest job in the world. So if you are a mom, give your weary self a pat on the back. I’ve heard stories from moms about only shaving one leg a day because there’s not enough uninterrupted time to shave both. I believe it now.
This weekend I kept the Rodgers Children over night while Ben and Susan went to Johannesburg.
Now let me start by saying that the 3 Rodgers children, Kayla (9) Levi (7) and Trinity (4) are great children. They are delightful, well mannered, caring children. .. But they are still children and there are 3 of them!
I had them Saturday evening and we had pizza (that Joyce cooked and cleaned up) I tucked them into bed, and went on to bed myself.
Then next morning I was awaken at 7am by the pitter patter of little feet. “Auntie Christy. Can I sleep with you now?” SO I pulled Trinity into bed with me thinking she would rest.
Nope.
She was wide awake. She told me all about her mom and how today she was taller than yesterday because she’d had a good night’s rest. I drug myself out of bed because all 3 were up by now, and cooked a nutritious breakfast of cold cereal for all of us. Ruling out the option of a shower, I sent the kids to get dressed and attempted to dress myself.
I had just enough time to change my drawers, and my pants before I heard crying. I rushed out, settled that problem and returned to change my upper half. I didn’t realize I would have to dress in shifts.
Later, the children were all outside playing nicely in the garden. I thought I could grab 30 seconds in the bathroom for a pee break.
Nope.
Mid-stream, I hear screaming. “Auntie Christy! AUTIE CHRISTY!!!! THERE IS MARIJUANA GROWING IN OUR GARDEN!!!!!!”
Sigh.
I went to inspect a weed that did in fact look like marijuana. “We need to burn it!” Kayla told me.
Uh…..no.
I set it aside and assured her that mom or dad would take care of it when they returned. Although later, Charles assured me it was not marijuana,-just a weed.
And the day continued with rushing, playing, feeding, playing, feeding, playing feeding, feeding, etc. And by the end of the day I was exhausted by 3 very well behaved children.
Women, I don’t know how you do it. It makes me reconsider having children in my future.

No comments: