Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Adventures in Africa- week 4

Saturday morning I decided to be brave. I drove myself to Ezelwini, just down the mountain. I did well (thank you to all who have been praying about my driving. Keep it up) and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. As I get closer to the Pic-and -pay grocery store, something darts in front of my car.
Is that a cat? No. The run is too bouncy.
It was a monkey!
How cute.
I get to the store, shop, and then go next door to a little handicraft market to do some window shopping.
Now this was the scary part...
When I come back to the parking lot, all of the other cars have left, and standing between me and my truck is a teen age boy.
"Hello Sisi," he calls "Is this your car?"
"Yes."
"I'm very hungry. Give me some food. Give me some money. I want some of the food in the bags. I see the bags in your car. I want some food."
Now this whole time he is getting closer and closer, and I'm feeling more and more uncomfortable. I keep saying, "No" to all of his requests and keep walking to my truck without making eye contact,- and yet not trying to show fear.
I get to my truck safely, climb in breathing a sigh of relief as this boy is inches from my window, continuing to demand food or money.
"I'm getting out of here." I think to myself as I stick the key into the ignition, and crank the engine.
Silence.
Nothing
not a tic, not a grind, nothing.
Silence.
I started fighting back the tears as I called Susan. She sent Ben as quickly as possible. I sat sweating in the hot car, unable to roll the windows down, and unable to open the door for fresh air because of this guy.
Just as my car began to smell like a kombi, Ben arrived, fixed the minor problem (Thank you Jesus!) confirmed the teenager was sketchy, and followed me home.
So I guess the lesson learned was this: sometimes in Africa you have a great time, sometimes you get in a jam. But even then I am watched over, protected, and provided for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankful for your safety! Praying as always!

:0)

Susan said...

O what we take for granted? Be safe!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!

Jennifer said...

so glad your safe! love ya

Jean Ohlerking said...

this is why we pray for you. glad you're okay.

this is one of the reasons you keep "prayed up" on the missionfield, and why prayer partners are vital. one never knows when you're gonna run into a problem and need instant wisdom.

you did the right thing.