Sunday, August 26, 2007

One for my dad




I first went to the carepoint to deliver some seedlings. They have garden where the children tend the vegetables and when they harvest then, they eat them with their daily pap and beans. Cool huh? Well they recently harvested their lettuce, cabbage, and beets so I took them some new seedlings.
At 11am I expected tons of kids to be there. But because they are on school break, many will only come for feeding at 2:30. So the kids were scarces. But these girls offered to help me plant them ourselves.
Gardening here is old-school- no rota-tillers, or irrigation systems. Just a hoe, and hose. So they taught me to first water the soil to soften it, then hoe the holes and remove any rocks, and plant the seedlings in a different area so the soil won’t get depleted.
Here’s the pictures of us getting down and dirty. Make Sukati is the one doing the hoeing. She is a community leader of Moneni and a hard worker, as all Swazi women are. And me, planting them as well. It made me think of gardening with my dad! Yea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! And I have to say I LOVE the haircut :0)