Friday, September 07, 2007

to hire, or not to hire...


A missionary family is returning to the states for a while and would like to keep their house girl employed during those 3 months. And while I would love someone to clean for me (open houses have to be cleaned everyday here to avoid being overrun by dust and bugs), it’s an added expense, a risk of theft (very common in the Swazi culture) and to be honest, I have issues with the idea of “hired help.”
Yes, I suspect the summer house work will be way too much for me to handle, and yes I realize it employees a woman who would otherwise be unemployed. Because of these things, house girls are very common in this culture. The missionary families approach it as an outreach to Swazi women and look for extra ways to bless them. But this month I’ve been struggling with feeling like a spoiled rich white lady, and adding a “maid” would only further this. You know?
While I’m living much simpler than American standards, with a used car, no cable, no internet, a half furnished house, 2 bath towels, 5 wash cloths, 1 frying pan, and 6 place settings of silverware, I look around at the Swazi culture and recognize how blessed I am.
I have a flushing toilet. I have electricity. I have hot water. I have a TV room big enough to fit their entire one-room house. I live within the safety of a compound so I can sleep worry free at night. I bake for fun, not necessity; I cook on a stove, not a fire. I wash in a washer and dryer, not the river. I own a used car, a half furnished house, 2 bath towels, 5 wash cloths, and 6 placesettings of silverware.
So how do I really have the right to complain about bugs in my house, and dirt on my floor? I should be grateful my floor is not made of dirt!
“We felt the same way when we came here. Christy, you just need to get over it.” Charles told me.
“But I feel spoiled”
“You were born white. You are spoiled.” Kristen said.
All the Swazi women snickered at that.
I wanted to get offended, but how can I when it’s so true?

No comments: