Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't worry Dad/mom...I'm fine!



“This is downtown Durban. Be sure to zip up your purse and hold it close to you. That way you will avoid pick pockets. That’s the worse that would happen here.”
Heh. Famous last words Lauren.
We went straight away into downtown Durban because Lauren’s husband Ross had to be fitted for a tux for wedding he was in. So once in the tux shop I sat down to read a very outdated 2003 magazine, and Ross, Lauren, and the Groom went behind the curtain with the tailor to get measured and pinned.
Suddenly a man rushes into the store announcing that he was with security, and that there was a problem. He told the shop keeper she must lock up the shop immediately and evacuate the plaza.
Is this for real? I went and sheepishly peeked behind the curtain.
“Hey guys? This man just came in and said we all have to evacuate the mall.”
“What? No. whatever.” They weren’t taking it very seriously.
And then they saw the shop keeper snatching her purse and heading for the door, disregarding all other people in the shop. The tailor jumped up quickly and said, “Ah, just wear the suit, mate. I’m going,” And dashed out.
Poor Ross, in his half casual/half tux shoeless outfit dashing along with the rest of us out of the plaza back to the parking garage. There were families, shop keepers, women with their hair half weaved, all looking about confused and trying to find out what was going on. One woman passing by said there was a bomb threat, but we never had anything confirmed. Ross sent Lauren and me off as he and the groom stayed behind to finish his fitting. Eventually he convinced the tailor to finish the job in the garage and left without ever knowing what it was all about. (I should check the news online)
I joked with Lauren later, “If I wanted to get bombed, I’d have gone to England. Pick pockets, my foot!”

1 comment:

Annie said...

Yikes!