Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Durban!!!! Yea!


I spent the weekend in Durban, and it was very nice. It had a very American feel to it, and it was filled with the simple things I took for granted. I shopped and shopped and shopped. Now I’m not much of a shopper but there were still so many things I needed to get for my house that you simply can’t find in Swaziland. But I spent 3 days in 2 different malls finding all of those little things to make my house nice. And I can say that the malls in Durban have one up on the states, they have shopping carts!
Yes, I went and did a lot of shopping at Game, a store that would be the African version of Wal-Mart. And once I filled my cart I was able to take it around the mall to Sheet Street, Mr. Price’s home, @home, home etc, and the other stores filling up my cart more and more! What an ingenious idea! If I was limited to only what I could carry, I would have finished shopping after an hour. But with the cart, I was able to shop all day spending lots and lots of Rand (South Africa money.) Brilliant!
Then Lauren and I went to eat Sushi and then to a movie. This was a big treat since you can’t do either in Swaziland. So I saw Even Almighty, (which I thought was cute.) in my assigned seat and ate butter-less popcorn. I don’t recommend that, no matter how much flavored salt they offer you.
I sat in a proper coffee shop and drank very nice coffee while reading a celebrity tabloid magazine (Actually it was written I Afrikaans so I just looked at the pictures. Yes, Brittney is still a mess, - even to the Dutch.)
And even thought the weather was cloudy and rainy, I did enjoy the beautiful view of the Indian Ocean. Now I have stuck my toes in 3 oceans!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Sounds like a great trip and you're one ocean up on me :0)

Jennifer said...

I would have been a perfect shopping partner for you!!! I miss you so much. Love ya :)

Susan said...

Wow Wow Wow, I'd rather shop anywhere that I have a cart!!!!! :)