Monday, September 10, 2007

Draw the curtains

My friend Heidi could get a date in the most unexpected places. Once she spun around quickly in the grocery store isle to check the price of ice cream, and ended up with a date. Another time she went to the drinking fountain for water and came back to her class with a date.
“But you only went for water?” Her co-teacher puzzled.
Well I think I’ve got her beat here in Swaziland. (And no Heidi, this is not a competition.)The Swazi men like white women a lot, and are not shy about it in the least. If you are standing by yourself, the men will come like flies to honey. It’s made me uncomfortable on many occasions, but today beat all.
I’m sitting here in my dining room typing on some work for my meeting tomorrow. And the guard who works next door spotted me through the window.
“Madam! Madam! Come out here, I would like to talk to you.”
I refused, but went to the window, hoping he just wanted to tell me something about the fence or the back yard or something.
Not so lucky. He chatted me up for a while, and when he saw I was finished with the small talk…
“I want to be in love with you.” He said smiling.
Sigh.
Unfortunately, I think I’ve got one up on Heidi now. I’ve been hit on while sitting at my table, in my own house, minding my own business. I wish I could gloat about that fact, but to be honest it’s just creepy, and makes me want to pull my curtains shut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! You better watch out, you might be marrying an African if your not careful!

Sandra said...

I just love your blog!! You sure you don't want to move in with me when I get over there? :)
Take care!