Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Just for fun...


There are so many African things that make me smile.
I saw a purple tree yesterday. It looked like any other tree, but instead of green leaves at the top, it was lavender. So pretty. I guess it’s the jacaranda tree, and now they are blooming. Cool.
The music here also is very humorous. Sometimes it’s American, and they will play 50 cent followed by Dolly Parton, followed by a hymn. Sometimes it’s SiSwati, and I have no idea what it is. But there are also a lot of remakes, American songs sung by an African. My personal favorite was “Jambalaya” (If you’re from Louisiana, you can imagine how silly it would sound being sung by an African.)
Today I was driving about and wasn’t really listening until I heard, “pa-rum-pa- pum-pum”
“What?! “ No, it couldn’t be… I turned it up
Yes, it was the little drummer boy. But last month I heard “Let it Snow” so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Another thing I saw was hilarious and I will try to explain it to you, but you will have to imagine it to visualize how funny it way.
I was driving on the expressway and they were doing construction. A big truck had to back up so it was doing it slowly into the oncoming traffic of that lane. To warn drivers that the truck was in reverse (in case they didn’t see the lights or hear the ‘beep-beep-beep’) there were workers jogging behind it. They were holding orange traffic cones or white flags and were pumping their arms up and down over their heads. I guess that kind of made sense to me, but here‘s the funny part: There were also men on top of the moving truck with flags and orange cones. And since the truck was moving in reverse, they didn’t have to run. So they were simply pretending to run. Lungile, the teacher I was riding with, almost fell out laughing, “Look how lazy they are! They are only riding, but they are pretending to run!”
Maybe you just had to be there…
No, I just re-read it. It was funny. If you don’t get it, you must not be imagining it right.

2 comments:

Annie said...

That is silly!!! What a riot!

Jean Ohlerking said...

jacaranda trees in bloom! oh, now you've gone and done it. i'm REALLY needing to be there now. I LOVE those trees. please go and hug one for me. maybe that one downtown by the keyhole shop where all the streets come together...i have a picture of it in my screen saver show.

sorry you have hit the "brick wall." we all do it. your visit with susan was a good idea.

hang in there. it will get better christy. we are very proud of you.