Thursday, September 20, 2007

Culture shock part 2


Grrrr!
I was trying to have a good day.
But it's the culture shock!
I'm so tired that nothing is familiar, and nothing is normal, and everything is a new learning experience.
Everything.
I had to get 2 items,- batteries and light bulbs. I thought "How hard could it be?"
(If you've ever been to Africa you are already laughing. You know where this is going...)
I told myself, "Christy, you can do this. It will be fine. Just go to Clicks, you know that store. It will be easy."
So I park Punkin in the parking garage (that's my truck's name) and go to Clicks.
I go to the batteries.
I call my teacher Mary on my cell, "What size did you need?"
"R20ppj..."
"...What?...is that a size?..."
AA, AAA, 9volt, C, D... what size is R20ppj?
I looked and looked until I figured out it is D.
Fine.
I asked a man for light bulbs.
Blank stare.
"Light bulbs?...maybe I'm not saying it right... to go into a lamp?"
"Oh yes, this way."
He took me to the photo albums.
"No. No. Light bulbs. For a lamp. (miming screwing a light bulb in.)"
"Huh?...li- buh?"
"LIIIIIIIT Bullllb. LIIIIIIIIIT Bullllb."
"Oh!" he took me to the bulbs (they are called globes here.)
To my dismay they are different too. Yes they have 60 watts, but some you screw in, and some you push onto prongs, and I had no idea what my new lamps took.
Sigh, I left without a li buh.
I went back to my garage and found my punkin with a clamp.
What?
I called the # given, and they sent a (swazi) security guard who told me I would have to pay a fine. Go figure. I was fighting back tears, when the (south african) manager arrived.
"Why is it on my car? What did I do?"
"This spot is reserved... Do you see where it says 'African Alliance'?"
I had seen the sign, but didnt' know what it meant. I don't exactly know who the African Alliance is, but appearantly, I'm not part of it."
I just gave up and let the tears flow, "But I didn't know..."
The manager was very understanding and just let me off with a warning. (Don't judge me. I swear I've never cried my way out of anything before.) He told the guard to un-boot Punkin and let me go without a fee, and left.
"Thank you, thank you I appreciate it" I said to the guard.
I guess expecting a "you're welcome" or "pleasure" was asking a bit much.
"Can you go and buy me a drink now?" He asked.
ARE YOU FLIPPIN' KIDDIN' ME?!!!!!!
I was irrate!
Tears gone.
Stone faced.
"No."
I got in my car and drove off.
GRRRRRRRR.

4 comments:

*marissa* said...

awwwww!!!! your adventures never cease to amaze me. i am in awe at how you have given up literally everything you know to follow christ. miss you!

Heather said...

but you're not in the African Alliance? I thought Miss Africa was automatically in the running? ;) miss you.

Jean Ohlerking said...

oh, poor christy. i do so love your reports. i have laughed till i cried... it's so true about it all. those sneaky no parking signs, and driving on the wrong side of the road and handing everything over with the right hand and the "assist" with the left. you reach a point where you either laugh or cry. either is good for you. you've made me do both. you WILL make it, christy. and when you have finished your first term, you will be able to write a book, sell it, and make enough money to return a second term. :-)

Cajun Tiger said...

Hi Christy...I know we've never met, but I'm an old HPCer and 'Cup supporter and live in DC now (well actually currently in Iraq). Just wanted to let you know that I've added you to my blogs on the mission field list with the rest of my 'Cup buddies which means you are also on my prayer list now! I'm loving your posts! Keep your eyes focused on the One Who called you there and He will never let you down!!!