Thursday, September 20, 2007

My diagnosis


The results are in...I'm officially in culture shock.
I don't know what I thought culture shock was, but I didn't think it was this. I thought it would happen right away...but I've been doing so well.
That's what everyone says..."christy, you're doing so well."
Apearently the joke is, everyone thinks they are immune to it, and no one ever is.
But Monday it hit in full force. I awoke fighting back tears as I realized I have everyone and everything Swazi,- simply because it's all wrong. They're all backwards!
I went to Bible study where all of the women have lived overseas, and tried to vent my frustration: How am I suppose to love, serve, and minister to these people when I can't stand them!
"How long have you been here?" They asked
About 10 weeks.
They all busted out laughing! "Yup! it's culture shock. I remember that. It happened about the same time, and then again at 6 months. But it will be okay"
What I liked best was that they all assured me that when it passes I will find I have such a love for the people again.
Good. I will look forward to that.
I went to my carepoint and saw some kids I haven't seen in 3 weeks. they ran up to me shouting, "Auntie! Auntie!" They hugged me and held my hand and wouldn't let me go.
It was so sweet and I just wanted to love on them and kiss 'em. My babies.
It must be passing.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I can't get enough of your blogs! Just like you said about reading my blogs and saying that you identify because you have been there. By reading yours I'm hoping it will help prepare me for living there. I was just watching videos of our trip and my heart is already in Swaziland and I can't wait until I return in Nov. But, now I know that by Jan. I will feel the opposite. :0 I'm comforted in knowing you will be there and have gone through it and will help me get through it!!! Hang in there and keep blogging.