Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The second mile

Here’s an interesting thought to chew on.
In Biblical times, Jews could be required to carry a Roman soldier’s pack for one mile.
No one really likes to be forced to do something, hey? So I’m sure they knew exactly how many of their footsteps would equal one mile.
“one thousand-thirteen…one thousand-fourteen… and stop. That’s it. One mile. Here’s your pack back and you can kiss my toe.”
But Jesus told his men “If someone forces you to go one mile, go two.” (Matt 5)
Ech. We don’t like that do we?
But isn’t “going the extra mile” as a free choice of love what gets people’s attention? Isn’t it something beyond what is required of us that show others we’re different?
In his book “The Second Mile,” Mike Haman claims that it’s within the second mile of serving others that the true blessings come.
“[Jesus] is opening up for us a completely new way of thinking, a kind of perspective that totally cuts across the grain of our own human nature and egocentric desires for self-preservation and satisfaction. He is inviting us to rise to a higher standard of life, one that requires service, humility, sacrifice and unconditional love for other… …The second mile. It’s a challenge. It’s an invitation. It’s a risk, but it’s a thrilling adventure. It’ in this kind of living we will find our true self, the self found in Christ. It’s laying down of what is comfortable, what is acceptable, and it’s grabbing hold of a higher life…a life filler with a deeper satisfaction, precious personal sacrifice, and blessing beyond what we could ever have imagined in our wildest dreams.”
Kinda big claims I thought.
As a missionary I can’t walk 2 steps without finding someone who would love for me to carry their pack that first mile, second mile, third mile, ect. Therefore I have set some pretty defined boundaries for myself in an attempt to retain balance. It would be easy to see missionaries who are facing burnout because they are walking mile after mile with 20 packs at once!
“Nope. Not for me,” I thought. “I’m not a people pleaser. I have no desire to carry packs for all of these people who won’t even see it as a sacrifice or act of loving service. They will be all too happy to have me walk as far as I’d like, all the while chuckling to themselves, “Ahh. White people are suckers.” Nope. One mile is fine for me.”
And of course it’s when you make up your mind that you won’t do something that God asks you to do it.

My second mile moment came with my teacher Ruth. I’d hired her to work at our Zombodze carepoint knowing that she would be a perfect fit. But the only problem is she was living in Bulimbu… 2 ½ hours away.
“I need help moving my things down to Zombodze.”
Ech. That is so not in my job description. I hire teachers. I train teachers. Heck, I’ve even fired teachers. I don’t move teachers!
But I felt that’s what God was telling me to do.
“Fine. I’ll come on Friday.”
Yes, Friday, the public holiday.
My day off.
I’ll drive all the way to stupid Bulimbu and move stupid furniture to stupid Zombodze.
Stupid Mike Haman, and his second mile. Grrrrr.
So that Friday morning I woke up grumpy, and dreading the entire day.
Christy, I want you to do it with the right attitude.
Sigh. “Not only to I have to go the second mile, but I have to like it? I’ll try, Lord.”
So I drank my coffee, put my hair up and retrieved Natalie to make the journey , all the while trying to get my heart right.
And as we drove, the resentment began to fade away. I really enjoy the talks I have with Nat, and therefore I thought, “well that’s one good thing about this trip.”
As we journeyed we saw the most amazing sights, with rolling hills and gorgeous mountains. We stopped several times just to shoot pictures, and make silly videos. We were assigned hitch hikers at the village gate, (not as strange as it sounds) gave them a lift and had such as blast trying to talk to these little ladies in Siswati. So by the time we actually got to the house we were having a great time. My whole attitude had change.
After loading the items I asked Ruth, “Did you get to say good-bye to everyone in the village?”
“Everyone accept the children at the Abandoned Baby for Christ center. Can we stop there?”
By then, I wasn’t even phased by the third mile. “Let’s go.”
So we stopped by for Ruth to say Good-bye, but curiosity got the best of me and Natalie.
“What is this place all about?” Soon we found ourselves in the living room of Gerry and Robin, the directors and “mom and dad” to 37 children under the age of 4! They graciously took time to give us a tour, explain the history of the ABC center and testify about God’s provision for them and the children in their care.


It was amazing (I’ll have to put it all into another blog) They let us hold the babies, and introduces us to the kids.
By the time we actually left we were walking on cloud 9. It was such an awesome experience.
The rest of the afternoon we drove back together, the three of us laughing, singing, shooting more silly videos, and growing in friendship.
I still ended my day at a decent time and sat back reflecting about the day’s events.
I was truly blessed. It was an awesome day.
And all because I went the second mile with the right attitude.
Maybe this Mike Haman guy knows what he’s talking about.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love this story!