Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hmmmmm.......

I’ve been reading Gene Edwards’ A tale of Three Kings, a story on leadership based on Saul, David and Absolom.
There’s an interesting section that made me think of devisions within the church, and towards pastors.
How many times have we seen it? A pastor does something that someone doesn’t like and before you know it, there are whispers behind his back and trying to get others to side against them. Sometimes it results in the board of directors voting the pastor out, or at the very least a group of people leaving the church to find another.
But take a look at this:
“…In the spiritual realm, a man who will lead a rebellion has already proven, no matter how grandiose his words or angelic his ways, that he has a critical nature, an unprincipled character, and hidden motives in his heart. Frankly, he is a thief. He creates dissatisfaction and tension within the realm, and then either seizes power or siphons off followers. The followers he gets, he uses to found his own dominion. Such a sorry beginning, built on the foundation of insurrection… No, God never honors division in His realm.
“I find it curious that men who feel qualified to split God’s kingdom do not feel capable of going somewhere else to another land, to raise up a completely new kingdom. No, they must steal from another leader. I have never seen the exception. They seem always to need at least a few pre-packaged followers.
“Beginning empty handed and alone frightens the best of men. It also speaks volumes of just how sure they are that God is with them. Their every word, if seen true, speaks of their insecurity.
“There are many lands unspoiled and un-possessed. There are many people in other places waiting to follow a true king, a true man of God…Why don’t ‘would-be-kings and prophets’ simply walk away, alone, find another people in another place, and there raise up the kingdom they envision?
“Men who lead rebellions in the spiritual world are unworthy men. There are no exceptions…”
“Tell me, Sage, what is your name?”
“My name? I am History.”

2 comments:

Annie said...

This sounds awesome! I will have to check it out.

Carole Turner said...

One of my all time favorite books. I think about it a lot because I am more the Absolom then the David. God is always working on me and this book really helped.