Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My team.


My newhope team just left and should be back in the US. We had such an amazing time together. It was so cool to see old friends and make a few new ones. You know, I knew Marissa way back before she was married and had 3 kids. And Jennifer (Miss. Halsey to you at NCS) use to be a roommate, and co-worker. It brought tears to my eyes when I saw them at my carepoint dishing up pap and beans to my babies.
Annie and Molly (taking the photo so not shown) came along, which I thought was so cool. Even as I was planning to come, Annie was saying, “We’re coming to visit you in Africa.” And indeed they did. How awesome is it that an 11 year-old came all this way. How different would yours and my lives be if we’d had a world perspective at 11?
And what a great time I had getting to know Sarah and Tenea. Such amazing women who were willing to face the unknown and come out the other end blessed.
We had great times together, including getting chased by an angry elephant, playing games by lamp light, eating amazing food at Summerfields Botanical garden, shopping at the golden mile, and passing out Samaritin Purse Christmas boxes.
But I think that thing that I enjoyed most was just having friends who wanted to experience what I do here. So many times people in the states don’t want to hear or know about Africa. They want you to say “The lord is doing great things” and then change the subject. They don’t want to know about the HIV rates, the poverty, the children in government hospital, or the struggles that children face everyday. But these women were willing to face the ugliness of life knowing that they would become responsible for what they have seen.
I love them so much for that.

3 comments:

*marissa* said...

oh yay! thank you again for such a wonderful and amazing time. i'm still just soaking it all in! God is so very good! miss you!!!

Jennifer said...

the trip would not have been what it was without YOU! thank you for leading and guiding us through our days in africa. i already miss you and the kids, and the other missionaries, and the teachers...I MISS IT ALL! love you!

Annie said...

Amen! Much thanks to you. Praises to God for His faithfulness in getting us there, I'm forever changed by the love He placed in my heart for these kids, the missionaries and a life lived in abandon to His will. I can't wait to see the next chapter unfold and firmly believe He will bring me back at some point!
Love to you Christy and all those at Children's Cup and hug the Moneni kids and teachers for me!! :0)