Friday, March 07, 2008

Not for the Squeemish!


"Come this side Christy. I want to show you something." Make Sugati opened the door to show me 80 chickens....live chickens.
Well my moneni carepoint was not the only one to be blessed in such a way! Ka Khoza also received a donation of live chickens,So by the time we arrived to deliver the toilet paper, they had already started their chicken killing party.
I'm not lying.
Some of the older children had live chickens, some were draining blood, some were pulling feathers, and all were blissfully happy!
Tomorrow they would be eating chicken to their heart delight,- such a rare treat for these children.
I'm happy they were happy, but it was too much for me! Eish, I'm too American. I just buy my already dead chickens at the Spar.

2 comments:

Jean Ohlerking said...

oh, christy...when i was a kid my mom taught me how to do the chicken from feathers to fried. in fact, we'd go buy the hen from a local farmer; he'd put the chosen chicken in a gunny sack (burlap bag) and dad would put it on the floor in the back seat by our feet. on the way home we three kids would make friends with the chicken by stroking the beak she'd poke out the sack, even naming it. we'd beg dad not to kill this one, please let us keep it for a pet. he'd ignore our pleas and he'd sharpen his little ax...or a very sharp butcher knife. we knew what was next and didn't want to miss it. he'd remove the hen from the bag and lay its head across a little stump of wood. he was so fast and the knife or ax so sharp that before we knew it, the head was lying on the ground and the rest of the body running all over the yard--like a chicken with its head cut off. we nearly fell over ourselves with gales of laughter... we never regretted eating the wonderful fried chicken mom made out of it with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, fresh green beans...and a cherry pie. mmmmmm

Sarah said...

LOL! I love how the pic showed up before the title "Not for the Squeemish! I am so glad I got to see pictures of all these chickens I keep reading about on y'alls blogs :)
Praise God for live chicken donations!