Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Practice what you preach

Can I practice what I preach?
You know I’ve been going through the Bait of Satan curriculum with my teachers. It’s all about offence.
It’s a great program and I’ve learned so much…but can I put it into practice?
I had a rough day on Tuesday. I was flat out treated wrong by a man and the business he represented. To say I was fuming would be an understatement.
I got home and just sat in my chair.
“All he saw was a white American woman.” (Here in Swaziland that is equal to a rich, naïve sucker to fleece.) “I guess I showed him. Now I’m gonna to this and that, and such &such. He’ll be sorry…”
As I was shouting all of this (in my head of course) the Lord said to me. “Can you practice what you preach?”
Huh?
“You stand up in front of your teachers every week and talk about not taking up offence at others, about letting me vindicate them… can you do it yourself.”
I wasn’t trying to hear that.
Silent fuming.
Sqinty eyes. Pursed lips. Huffy breaths.
Grrrr God. Very Grrr.
I just went to bed.
I thought that was the end of the conversation.
He wanted to talk about it more at quarter to 5 in the morning.
“Will you let me take care of it?”
(I’m a bit to honest when you wake me up.) “No God,- you take too long. 12 years for Joseph. 14 years for King David. By the time you get around to it, it won’t even matter. I want him punished and to know it was because of what he did to me.”
“What about ‘Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do’”
“Oh! -don’t give me that bologna,- he knew exactly what he was doing! That was intentional because I called him out on his shady business. Now he’s trying to break my stuff, and I have to go and pay even more to get it fixed…”
“But he doesn’t know that he’s messing with the Lord’s anointed…”
I sat straight up in my bed, hands in the air.
“Whoa.” Eyes as big as saucers I scrambled to get out of my bed. “Okay, that’s it. I’m done. I’m done. No offense. No offense. I’m not messing with that one anymore.”
The thing is, I forgot that me being here in Swaziland had nothing to do with me. God has sent me here with for a purpose,- he has a plan while I’m here. And if someone is messing around and is trying to keep me from doing my stuff, he’s not messing me up,- he’s messing God’s business up.
God will not stand for that. He will make the situation right. I don’t have to do one tiny thing to set things straight, in fact, I’ll just get in the way if I try.
So I’m not taking offence. I’m stepping back, -way back,- and letting him take care of it.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Amen!

Sarah said...

What a good reminder! It makes me think of 1 Sam. 24:5-6 (talking about how David spares Saul's life), "Afterward, David was conscience-stricken for having cut off a corner of his robe. He said to his men, "The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD's anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the LORD."

You are "the anointed of the Lord" - God will be faithful to you in this situation. Just keep a pure heart - allow yourself to be "conscience-stricken" when you are tempted to cut off a corner of someone's robe.

Praying for ya :)