Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I'm baa-ack!



I loved Mozambique! Thank you to all who prayed! The traffic was surprisingly mild when I drove into Maputo. Patrick Conti even commented, “You must have people praying for you back home…the traffic is not bad at all.”
See. Your prayers work.
The city is rough looking, there’s obvious poverty everywhere you look, but I love it so much. I didn’t really expect to, to be honest.
We decided on the first night that one day would not be enough. So we made a weekend out of it. We had seafood, and watched great movies with Portuguese subtitles
The next day we went to the Nkobe carepoint for a caregivers meeting, and then a youth event in the afternoon. Finally on Sunday we had church, lunch and had to say our goodbyes. But I tell you, if I didn’t have obligations on Monday, I’d have stayed until my 30 day visa ran out. I can’t wait to go back in December.
I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Carol and Isaac Williams, the Brazilian couple who work with Children’s Cup there. They are so hospitable and a great couple. I was thrilled to see how their carepoint is running, even though it’s so far removed from us in Swaziland. I look forward to working with them more in the future. The children and adults who come for church have such a servant's heart. They all wanted to help set up the chairs, to serve tea, to collect the cups,- anything to help!
I can’t exactly put my finger on why Mozambique is so different from Swaziland, even though it’s only a few kilometers away. But the people are different, the spiritual atmosphere is different, the children are different. It was so hard to communicate with them since they don’t speak English and I don’t speak Portuguese or their native language, which I won’t even attempt to spell here. I could say "Bon dia" or "caio!" but the rest... just smiles, hugs and kisses.But I fell in love with them so quickly, and felt a real connection with the people.
Sigh. I miss it already.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I can't wait to be there in June!