Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Crime and punishment

When a crime is not punished, people feel it is safe to do wrong. Ecclesiastes 8:11
You know that’s the truth. Have you ever done something you knew was wrong, but not received a consequence for it? You kinda think that you got away with it huh? But look at what I saw in Genesis:
Jacob then traveled on and camped beyond the tower of Eder. While he was there Reuben slept with Bilhah, his father’s concubine, and someone told Jacob about it… Genesis 35:21
That seems a random phrase to put in there, since it was never addressed again…until Jacob’s death.
14 chapters, and at least 40 years later by my count, Jacob lies dying and begins to proclaim each inheritance for each of his 12 sons.
“Reuben, you are my oldest son, the child of my vigorous youth.
You are first on the list in rank and honor.
But you are as unruly as the waves of the sea,
and you will be first no longer.
For you slept with one of my wives;
you dishonored me in my own bed.” Genesis 49:3
Yikes! Can you imagine loosing your rights as first born because of something you did back in the ‘70’s?!!!! Man, that’s tough. The past will always come back to bite you.

No comments: