Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Name Game


I know there is power in the spoken word. What we say about ourselves over and over and over again has a great effect on us. People who say, "I'm stupid," or "I'm not good enough" usually act in a way that reflects that. I know those examples are consious on their parts, but do you ever wonder about what we "unknowingly" say about ourselves and how it effects us?

For example if you speak in tongues, you are edifying yourself without knowing what you're actually saying, (in some cases). Those words have a definate meaning, but you don't really know what they are.

Today this all kinda dumped on me as I read the introduction of Ezra. "Ezra" means "help."
I thought to myself, "Some of us don't even know what our names mean, but we identify ourselves by them"
Have you ever noticed that when you find out what a friend's name means, it's very fitting! Is it because they have titled themselves by that name for all of these years? Is it a self fulfilling prophecy? (Lord, I hope not. "Sanjaya" means "victory")

My friends' (joanne and miss Jean) name means "God is gracious" and it's very fitting for both of them.
Have you ever noticed God changed people's names? Abram became Abraham, the "father of many nations." Simon became Peter the "Rock" Jacob became Isreal "One who struggles with God."
For years I unknowingly called myself the "Famous light of Christ." Is it any wonder I'm going to serve as a missionary?

So what is your name, and what does it mean? Does it fit? Do you want to change it now? hee hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep...if I just say, "I'm thin" over and over it'll become true!

Anonymous said...

Wait...what is it? oh yeah

"I'm strong enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to keep commenting on this one until someone else does :0P

Regarding our discussion the other day about names and changing names and what "feels like" the right name.

Joann (Yahweh is gracious)
Joey (He will add)
Annie (Grace or favor)

hmmmm which nickname seems to more appropriately reflect my true name???