Saturday, April 21, 2007

My recomendation, part 2

Okay I re-read my blog from this morning about the movie, and perhaps I need a little more explanation. Some of you will watch this movie and think, "What was Christy talking about? This movie is Crazy."
1) There is some S-E-X and some gratuitous male nudity in it, which I'm not even sure why they put that in there. But I guess that's why it's gratuitous.
2) I think the reason it effected me so much was because of the concept of this (fictional) character who wanted to serve, make a difference, and have this big life adventure (sound like anyone you know) but leaves the mission hospital swept up in the seduction of money, power, noteriety. When you watch the movie, there's a line during a confrontation at the end. Amin growls something like, "You thought Africa was just a fairy tale. And you were going to come and play the part of the white man. But we are very real"
It makes me very aware of the need to keep my motives in check as I prepare to do the same thing. I definitely need to keep my heart right as I prepare to enter into another culture, to avoid ever taking on a "savior complex."
There. That's why it effected me.

No comments: