Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Belly blues


"No one said it would be easy. But no one said it'd be this hard"
Oh sing it Sheryl Crow.
After longing for 13 years I got my belly button ring. And I love it, don't get me wrong. But I had no idea it would be so high maintanance. I'm not a high maintanance kinda gal. I thought it would be like getting my ears pierced.
Twist twice and add some solution. Done
Nope. I was very niave.
First you have to wash it with dial soap. No biggie. Then you have to soak it twice a day in sea salt water. Yes sea salt. Imagine the physical act. I have to fill a tiny tupperware of salt water, then hang my belly forward and press it real hard and then bend way far back and try to balance and lie down on the couch without spilling it out of the tupperware. This has meant farwell to the snooze alarm so I can have the extra time for this sanitary routine.
No peroxides allowed
No ointment allowed.
And all of this might be worth it if it worked. But appearantly it is still the general expectation that my piercing will get an infection at some point in the next 2 months. Yes, I said 2 months. I've yet to talk to anyone who hasn't gotten an infection. In fact the official care guide from the tattoo parlor says, that the piercing needs to be de-crusted regularly, and the bar must stay inserted at all cost, to let it seep.
Ewwwwww.
No one ever told me that part.
Is it all worth it? I don't know. But what's done is done and I'm not about to undo it. So I guess this is a ow-y icky course in perserverance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crusty bellybuttons....ewwwww

Glad it's getting better! It looks cool ;0)

Anonymous said...

Love the gut on the guy in the pic! haha

Stephanie M said...

I have heard that the belly button is one of the longest and most pain in the booty piercings to heal. I think it's like 6 months and you can never wear tight clothes over it. However it does look cute. Have fun!