Sunday, August 20, 2006

The church of the Lion

Oh how do I even put words on a blog to describe the Church of the Lion?
Loving
Passionate
Unbridled
Free
Blessed
After leaving, I thought to myself, "I want to give them something. I want to bless them" But with what? How could I ever bless them? I have nothing they want. I have nothing they need. The bible says, "Blessed are the poor..." They truly are a people who are blessed by God. And I could never compete with that.
We'd heard rumor and whispers throughout the week from Betty and Will that this church was off the hook. "You'll love it. It's amazing" On Friday, Betty told us, "We've saved the best for last."
Upon arriving I noticed nothing but love pouring out of the people. They have such a love for God, that they can't help but love people. It felt like walking into a family reunion where everyone is so excited to see you. The teenagers were relaxed and excited to be there, and they looked after toddlers who wandered around the church and everyone looked out for one another. Even when things got wild, they looked out for one another to make sure no one hurt themselves or others on accident.
Full of Love Full of Grace.
They seemed to understand the connectedness of her universal church and were sensitive to our needs. The pastor spoke a little English and would translate a few lines of the songs so we would understand what we were singing, and the worship dancers had capes of several world flags incorporated in their costumes.
I'd gone expecting to serve them, minister to them, pray for them, like at all of the other churches we'd visited. But we got just the opposite.
First we were gathered to the front, so the children could pray for us. I thought to myself, "oh isn't that sweet? The kids are gonna pray for us, how cute." but there was nothing "cute" about it. These children have been raised in a community operating in the love and power of God. A little girl hugged me and began to pray in my ear in Portuguese. I have no idea what she was saying, my spirit did! I broke down and started sobbing right there on the spot. And the only thing the Holy Spirit spoke to me was "Submit to God" What ever she was praying was right on!!! Then I prayed for a little boy about 7 year old and god showed me he was a pastor to his little friends. He led them and taught them about the bible, and when he grew up he'd be a pastor of adults. I tried to tell him this in my best/worst Portuguese
"Tu un pastor" and he just smile and agreed nonchalantly, as if you say, "yeah I know". This was no surprise to him, he already knew his calling. What would it feel like to know and be walking in your calling at age 7? I know 30, 40, 50 year olds still trying to figure it out. And one itty bitty girl was carrying her bible back and forth in front of the stage "preaching". She couldn't be more than 3 but know what ever it was she was preaching, was in the bible. I was absolutely amazed at the spiritual maturity of these kids. I've only met a few other kids like this and they were missionary children in Swaziland. But this was an entire church of them!!! The thing is, I don't know why I was surprised. I guess kids should be more spiritual than I expect. After all they haven't had 20+ years for the world to mess them up. They are simple, full of faith, pure, innocent. Isn't that why Jesus says we should become like children? I want to become like these children.

No comments: