Monday, December 22, 2008

Polar opposites


I left africa on the longest day of the year. It was a hot 85 degrees when I left at 10:30. It was the hot-hof of first day summer day!
I arrived after many grueling hours in Washington DC. I could smell the cold air. (I'd forgotten cold has a smell)
The sun didn't rise until after we landed at 6:30 am.
I made it to Flint Michigan at 7 pm to the announcement "The current temperature is 1 degree with 30mph wind gusts"
Welcome to the first day of winter.
I'd forgoten how cold "cold" was. Wrapped in only my winter coat (which I was smart enough to pack in my carry on)and the scarf Sandra knitted me we sprinted from the airport terminal to the truck in a covered shelter. My ears were numb by the time we arrived.
"Holy crap! How am I going to do this all again?"
It's been a long time since I scraped windows while doing the "crap-it's-cold" dance.
I don't own any gloves.
Or ear muffs.
or face masks.
or snow pants.
Heck I only have boots that Lauren blessed me with. Otherwise I'd be wearing flip flops.
I think my shopping trip to target today will have to include a little more than eggnog and coffee creamer.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

you can always come to NC where we go from 30 degrees one day to 68 the next! at least its consistently cold in michigan!