Monday, December 22, 2008

My African Angels

My traveling day was traumatic.
I arrived tired in Washington DC.
My luggage didn't.
I waited in que after que, to be questioned, searched and herded like cattle.
I rode trams to other gates and sprinted through the airport to the gate where my connecting flight was leaving 16 mintutes sooner than when I booked the flight.
I was too late.
"It's left." she Christmas Witch told me smuggly.
"No it hasn't! (pant pant) I see it right there! The door is still open!" I shouted waving my boarding pass.
She talked into her phone reciever and responded to me "They've already done the paper work..." and proceed to ignore me.
I burst into sobs right there. I didn't care who saw.
A kind elderly South African was brave enough to approach me. "Don't worry. It will be okay. You can go there to the customer service and they will rebook you. You can go on the next one." I pulled my self together and did just that.
After being told I would fly stand-by at 5:30 pm I called my mom on the pay phone and sobbed to her.
I attempted to go to the SAA ticket counter in hopes that they could assure me on a different flight.
This American and that American directed me poorly with "It's in the main terminal" or "It's downstairs, and then go upstairs."
What?
But a kind Ethiopian man said, "Here I can take you." and walked me personally all the way. "I hope they can help you " he said as he left.
Bless his heart.
Later that morning I was trying to find an ATM to get American Money so I could buy more phone cards (and a starucks...hey I needed some time of comfort)and walked into the newstand to ask for help.
A lovely girl was there helping me and encouraging me. "They also sell SIM cards downstairs if you want it for your phone instead of a calling card. But we have those here if you need them. "
"You have a beautiful accent. Where are you from?"
"Togo..." and immediately followed with "It's in western africa..."
"I know where Togo is."
She acted surprised.
"I've been living in Swaziland... I know a bit about africa."
She smiled brightly. I'm guessing not many of her customers know anything, (or care) about Togo.
Yes, it was a crap day. But I was so blessed by the beautiful African Angles that I encountered.
Thank you Lord for bringing Africa to me, after I left Africa.

3 comments:

Donald and Diane said...

God Bless you...
Have a wonderful CHRISTmas..
Will keep following you through your blogs,
Love Diane

Jennifer said...

I'm SOOOOOO glad you made it back safely! Please email me with your phone number so we can catch up! LOVE YOU!

Kristin said...

I LOVE it! God is so funny... just wanted you to make sure you return to the States with kind thoughts towards Africa. We miss you already here!