Monday, December 31, 2007

Meet the Popos

You know, I’d heard about them, but had never seen them with my own eyes.
I’d taken my laptop out onto the porch to do a bit of writing when I saw a great rustling of trees behind the pool. The trees were swaying and bending with too much force to be a bird. I tip-toed closer noticing a scurry of movement through the leaves.
Yep. They were they watching me as much as I was trying to watch them.
A family of monkeys. I counted 2 adults and several babies. I’ve affectionately named them The Popos. That’s a good monkey name huh? (‘popos’ are what they Swazi call papayas.) After all that’s why they live in our yard,- the abundance of fruit trees.
I watched them climb, eat, play. The baby was looking at me with his head cocked to one side. He kept climbing down for a closer look but always kept his distance.
Maybe I’ll write about them one day, The Adventures of the Popos.

No comments: