Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Get ready to feel jealous!






My life rocks! There I said it! After graduation, we took all 26 students to Mlilwane Game reserve. The kids were so excited, but I think I topped them all. The park is so beautiful and we walked for quite a showing them all the different animals and shooting photos.
For most of these children this was a first time experience. Even though they are living in Swaziland, most have never had a care giver take them to a game park. their eyes were wide as we drove in. One little girl asked her teacher in SiSwati, "Is this where Auntie Christy lives?" Too cute.
We also had lunch there. Beef curry, salad, fruit, pap, and juice. Again, most of these orphans don't eat meat, so they were chowing down!
Another thing that made me laugh was the kids trying to eat with a fork. Most Swazi will eat with their fingers on a day to day basis, so many of these kids dont' use silverware. I showed them the "proper" way to use the fork, and they gave it an honest effort. But it was so funny to see them dangling the forks, trying to stab some food and then dangle it up into their mouths.
The thing that surprised me the most was that the children were so well behaved. Watching these kids run and play at the carepoints, you'd think they were wild! But they were polite, quiet, sitting well and eating, and so respectful. That says a lot about the teachers who are training these kids.
So all day long I kept thinking, "My life rocks! How many teachers get to take their kids to a game park in Africa as a field trip? How many get to experience so many 'firsts' in their lives.
Jealous aren't you? You should be! I have the coolest "job."

2 comments:

Annie said...

Yay! :0)

Sarah said...

Ok...maybe a tiny bit jealous :)
It sounds like you had an awesome time; what a blessing to be able to experience this with the kids!