Friday, December 28, 2007

Execution Rock




You would have been so proud of me.
I hiked execution rock! Yes,the whole thing, from the bottom at Mlilwane rest camp all the way up tp the very tippy top! We didn’t cheat and drive. I know this picture doesn't look like much, but we came from the other direction, and it's high!
I wore my real hiking boots, and my real hiking socks and did a real hike. The day was mild and the distance really isn’t that far, it’s just straight up. I knew if I didn’t make it to the top it would plague me. I can’t stand leaving goals unmet. So I kept trecking. Finally once I made it so far up I quit.
“I can’t do it Rajni. This is far enough. I’m happy.”
Then Nathan peeked his head down over a rock above us? “Why are you guys stopping here? You’re almost at the top. You have about 30 more yards.”
That’s it?
So I rested a bit and then did the final few steps. I made them sing the Rocky theme song as I ran up the last flat portions. I made it, and the view was beautiful
Here are some thoughts I had during the trek:
Back in the old days, if you were found guilty of murder or (ironically) witch craft they would march you up to the top of execution rock and push you off. Hence the name. But when I got up there I was so hot and tired, I kinda wanted to die. So I don’t know it that would actually have been a punishment for these people. The idea of jumping was more appealing then knowing I would have to walk all the way back down.
Second, I’d gone about 20 steps before I got hot, tired, sweaty, and mumbling/grumbling under my breath. So why do I give the Israelites such a hard time when I read about the 40 years in the desert? I guess I need to cut them some slack. I always think they should be “holier” than that. But in truth if I can’t do it on a journey I choose to do, how could they do it in something they were kinda thrown into? Give ‘em a little grace next time you read it.
Finally, I’m the luckiest girl in the world. I’m 30. I’m living in Africa. I get to hike big giant rocks, and sit on the top eating apples and looking over the country. My life rocks! (no pun intended)

2 comments:

Annie said...

Yay for climbing! I love the point about the Israelites. It is humbling!

Jean Ohlerking said...

Just think, if you'd have given up and not pushed further on, you'd have missed the top. the goal. the prize. the view!

sometimes we live our spiritual lives this way too. we just give up too soon when only a few more steps would complete the trip. too tired. too discouraged. too weak. too impatient.

but you did it! you conquered the climb! see? you CAN do all things through Christ...

love ya Lady
j