Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Picking up hitch-hikers

I was driving to our Makholweni carepoint when I saw two children in our school uniforms.
They recognized my truck and immediately started flagging for a ride. I stopped and they excitedly climbed in.
“Goud morning Aun-tie!”
“Good morning. Are you on your way to school?”
“Yeas”
“You are late today. You should be there by now.”
They both got a fearful look.
“Are you late often?”
“Yeas… we done haf a woll watch.” (That’s a clock for the rest of us)
“You don’t have a wall watch? Then how do you know when to come to school?”
“We jees come!”
“Oh I see. What will teacher Zandile say when you come late?”
“She jees greet us. Then, we get de puneeshment.”
“Oh shame.” I was worried by the way they looked so worried. “What is the punishment for coming late?”
“We haf to peek up all de rubbish een de carepoint.”
How funny! Yes that would be torture to a child, picking up trash instead of playing. No wonder Makholweni has been looking so clean.
Ps- we made it there right at 8am, so the children did not have ‘de puneeshment’

1 comment:

Cajun Tiger said...

That is so precious!