Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's working!

"Come Auntie. Come and dish."
"I will. But the teachers have been working so hard. I will wait until they dish first."
"...that's what you do Christy." Teacher Lindiwe said. "You always let others go first. But that's not how blacks do it. They will always put themselves first,- even in front of children. They want to be first."
In education we would call this a "teachable moment."
"It's not because I'm white that I do this Lindiwe. I do it because Jesus says we must prefer others. We consider them and not just demand for ourselves. And I need to be a servant of those I lead. And to be honest, what harm does it do if I don't go first? Look how much food we have. We'll never run out, and I won't go hungry. So what difference does it make if I go after my teachers?"
She pondered that for a while.
Leading by example take a lot more time than lecturing, but the lessons will be well learned.

No comments: