Monday, April 14, 2008

Ketizwe

Khetizwe hadn’t been himself lately. He’d been coming to the carepoint looking tired, and worn.
“He’s just tired” One boy would say.
“Oh he’s sick today” another would say.
But I could tell it was more than that. He looked burdened.
Then Make Sukati told me what she knew.
“His house has fallen down. His mother is mentally disturbed. She’s nowhere to be found. So now he’s staying with his gogo.”
“What do you mean his house ‘fell down?’”
“During those rains. [Cyclone Jukwe] it made his house fall down. I’ve talked to Red Cross, and Unicef, but they can’t help. Can Children’s Cup help him?”
I wanted to see it for myself.
All I found there was the type of play fort children make in their living rooms. It was a few sheets of roofing metal, leaning against one another, held together by a blanket. Even though Make said he was staying with his gogo, it appeared that he was still trying to stay there.
Yes, we will help.
Make and I told him that we would set a date and the other teenage boys can come and help as well. “Start collecting sticks, and rocks there.” Make told him
His shoulders lifted, he lowered his eyes respectfully, and a small smile came to his face,- the first I’ve seen in weeks. “Thank you” he whispered.
So please pray for us on the 21st, 22nd, 23rd of April as we conquer that task of building a house for this teenage boy.
I’ll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Annie said...

What a great story! I am praying and can't wait to hear the rest of the story and maybe even see pictures :0)

Benji Kelley said...

Praying for you, your dad, and the fam.

Blessings -

Because of Jesus,
Pastor Benji