Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Child of God.



I was subbing in a headstart classroom with 3 and 4-year olds. One activity I did with these at risk children was "message of the day" to build their oral skills and build vocabulary.
I read the message: "Tell me about a time when you had an adventure."
Hand went up. I picked one child.
"I went on a motorcycle with my uncle... and we went very fast!"
"Wow! That does sound like an adventure. Great job! Does anyone else have a story about an adventure?"
More hands. I picked a second child.
"I went on a motorcycle."
"Er...okay. Remember kids, an adventure doesn't have to be about a motorcycle. It can just be an exciting time. Any exciting time." I said. "who else?"
More hands, more picking.
"I went on a motorcycle."
"Nooooo!... okay.... I want to hear a story that's not a motorcycle story....any other adventure... but not a motorcycle.... okay? no more motorcycle adventure."
One little guy put up his hand.
"Okay, you. Tell me one."
"We saw a big boat... it was in the water..."
"Good!" I encouraged.
"...And there were dolphins... no no,- a shark!" he exagerated.
"Wow! That is exciting!" I played along.
And then dropping his eyes he mumbled under his breath, "and there was a motorcycle."
Sigh. So close.
But today I"m taking a look at my prayer life. I've been rereading a lot my old journals and my prayers have a common theme of hating being single. Perhaps I'm an at-risk student who should have been enrolled in God's headstart program for early intervention. My prayer life often sound like this:

Monday
God: Okay, children, who has a prayer request today?....Christy?
Me: I want a husband.
God: Okay, good... moving on

Tuesday
God: Okay children who has a prayer request today?...Christy?
Me: I want a husband
God:... um... okay... but you said that yesterday... is there something different you'd like to pray for?
Me:...um... I want to be... married?
God: ..um...okay... yeah.I get that... but what else?
Me: umm...I don't want to be single anymore?
God: [slapping forehead] yes, yes, I know that. but there are other things to pray about,- world peace, children in Africa...anything different you want to add?
Me: oh, yeah.... there are children in Africa who need you help.
God: Good! Good job. Yes, there are children in Africa...
Me:[mubling under my breath] and I want a husband.

1 comment:

beccachristian said...

You are hilarious! You are going to keep your husband laughing!