Monday, October 27, 2008

A lotto company in Swaziland has been doing some publicity here. Their idea is to fly in a helicopter and rain money down on people.
People like that idea.
They waited for the helicopter to arrive.
Their behavior was interesting. Many ran like crazy, jumping , scrambling, running after notes as they blew in the wind. One man had the clever idea of standing on top of the toilet house so he would have a ten-foot advantage over those on the ground.
But others stood, just watching. Maybe they had all the money they needed. They laughed at the erratic behavior of those scrambling for the money.
One woman simply stood in the middle of the field watching everything go on around her. I guess no money fell in that exact spot because as the helicopter flew away she was photographed with her hands turned up to the pilot and an expression as if to say, “But wait, what about me? I didn’t get any.”
It makes me think about the church.
Am I (are you ) the kind of person who is chasing after God and all that he has for me?
Am I willing my let myself look like a crazy idiot?
Or am I (are you ) someone looking from the sidelines laughing at the “fools.”
Is my best effort to chase God standing in one spot thinking “Well if it falls in my lap, then okay…but I’m not really going to put much into it.”
Will I (will you) be disappointed when I go without?
Seek and ye shall find… knock and the door shall be opened to you.

No comments: