Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Back to Basics

Hmmmmm.... I'm hearing big things about money coming from the states. We love our money don't we? Perhaps we've been loving it too much lately.
Yes, I know this issue with the bailout and such is nasty. And they say it could send us into a big recession.
But I'm starting to wonder if that would be so bad. What if, we as Americans were forced to go back to basics. What people lost jobs, and only one parent could work? What if we were forced to go back to small houses, one car families, dinner at home, $25 cable plans, $30 cell phone plans, small family vacations, modest Christmas and working in advance to buy something instead of putting it on credit cards?
What if we didn't have plasma tvs, suv, and plans to retire at 50,... or retire at all?
Yes I know this is a huge issue, I'm not trying to make light of the situation or belittle that people are losing their 401 K plans. I know that is a big deal to them.
But I'm living in a country where 12 year old girls prostitute themselves to go to school. Do your daughters do that?
Here, there is a gogo who has lost her husband, and all 6 children. She is now raising 25 , yes 25 grandchildren on her own in a one room house. Does that look like your life? Not mine!
Here the average life expectancy is 30, and people work until they are too sick to get out of bed.
Women here start their day at half past 4 to build a fire, heat water to bathe, and cook breakfast for their children before riding a public transport kombi to work at 8
I just wish we as Americans would open our eyes and be grateful for what we have instead of fearful that we might loose it all. Maybe we've leaned on our own strength for too long and have forgotten who gave us everything in the first place.
We should start examining our hearts about what really makes us happy, and what is truly important to us.

I know that sounds so harsh, but even in times of recession we are still more fortunate that a huge percentage of the world!
I think our culture spends a lot of time crying over spilt champagne.

3 comments:

Annie said...

The problem with welcoming recession is it only hurts the ones who can't afford it, the ones who already just scrape by, don't have any credit, drive beat up used 10+ yr old cars or take the bus, who have no healthcare, the ones whose idea of a family vacation is a three day weekend at home in the backyard...

and still...they have it better than the rest of the world.

merrill5 said...

Yes, I agree Annie, but I remember being raised on stories about my parents newly married in the 70's, and then my mom was pregnant and my dad got laid off. They had 0 money! And yet they found a ping-pong ball behind the stove, and invented their own games and were so happy together.
Times were tough but they were content because they knew it wasn't the job and money and status that was going to make them happy.

Annie said...

Yup...I miss the simpler times too :0)