Monday, February 25, 2008

What are you doing today?

Each day for the past 2 weeks I’ve woken up and asked, “What are you doing today Lord, and can I get in on it?” (A bit of helpful advice from a Beth Moore Study)
This change in attitude has revolutionized my schedule.
Last week I’d planned to go into Manzini to observe a classroom. I’d made it all the way to Ka Khoza when my car started making a strange squeaky noise. I headed back to Mbabane. The car was a simple problem that was quickly fixed by a mechanic and that left me with an open afternoon schedule.
“Come with me to Makholweni,- you can teach the cooks today. Teresa can’t do it and had asked Jacci to, but she’s sick.” Roger said.
So that’s what I did. And it was a great experience teaching and praying with the cooks and teachers there.
Then last week I returned to talk briefly with the teachers. When I arrived I found a child had been chased from his home by his step-father. All of this boy’s belongings sat in a plastic bag, for he was told never to return again. I accompanied the boy and a teacher to the police station after calling child welfare.
I had a definite check in my spirit. “What is this boy thinking about all of this?”
I turned to his teacher and told her, “You must explain this to him so he understands. We are not bringing him here because he is bad. He has done nothing wrong.”
He accepted the situation with no worries.
When we returned there was a young woman sitting at the carepoint.
“Zandile, who is that white woman?” I asked as we drove past (I thought I knew all of the white people in Swaziland.)
I found out she’s working with AIM and had come to help Teresa in clinic, not knowing it wasn’t held there on that day.
“Oh no. How am I going to get home? I had my group drop me.” Being in Swaziland only 3 weeks the poor dear wouldn’t even know how to catch a kombi. So she rode with me to my carepoint and then I carried her back to Ezulwini when we were done that afternoon. Through it all I got to be a help to 2 someones in need, and made a new friend.
On Friday, I was delayed from visiting my carepoint by waiting at the electric company, and then an unexpected conversation with a couple at Nando’s. Then today I found out there had been quite a conflict brewing at the carepoint.
“I wanted to let you know about it, but it’s a good thing that Roger and I were there together” Jacci said. “It was intense, and neither of us knew how to handle it. So I’m just thankful we were both there.”
It’s been great to see how God will change things up when I allow him to. When I’ve let go of my daily planner, and give him room to move, he does!

No comments: